Your account type and transactions will determine whether or not you receive a tax form.

All tax form email notifications sent by our clearing firm, Apex Clearing, are sent from

Individual and Entity Accounts

Domestic, Non-IRA accounts receive a Consolidated Form 1099

Standard (non-retirement) accounts will receive a Consolidated Form 1099 if at least one of the following conditions apply during the tax year. Retirement accounts do not receive a Consolidated 1099. To view our Consolidated 1099 Guide, please click here.

You will receive a 1099 if your account:

  • Had a closing transaction
  • Participated in a corporate action, such as a tender offer
  • Earned at least $10 in interest (1099-INT)
  • Earned at least $10 in dividends (10990-DIV)
  • Had an Original Issue Discount (OID) that was valued at least $10 (1099-OID)
  • Earned at least $10 in miscellaneous income (i.e., a distribution from an MLP)

If you do not fall under any of the categories above, then that means your account will not be issued a Consolidated 1099, which means that you will not find a Form 1099 in our Tax Center. Our clearing firm does not report dividends or interest earned below $10 as income, but if you earned any amount under $10, monthly statements could be used to prove the payment for tax reporting purposes.

Although C-Corporation (C-Corp) accounts are generally a taxable entity, they do not receive a Consolidated 1099 due to the way they are structured. C-Corporations are generally responsible for reporting their overall performance based on the financial statements prepared by the corporation. C-Corp account holders can use the tax worksheets listed in the tax center to reconcile their prior-year performance.

Retirement Accounts (IRA & SEP)

Did you make a Contribution or a Distribution?

Any contribution(s) made to any qualified retirement account will receive a Form 5498. On the other hand, distribution(s) from any qualified retirement account will receive a Form 1099-R. To view our IRA Tax Form Guide, please click here.

International Accounts

Did you receive any income?

International customers that receive income that is subject to tax withholding will generate a Form 1042-S. Dividend payments and interest payments are some examples of income that may be subject to tax withholding.  To view our Form 1042-S Guide for International customers, please click here.