Can I upgrade my account?
Margin vs. Cash Accounts
Only margin accounts can be upgraded. The ability to upgrade your trading level is based on two factors: your account type and your investor profile. To see what kind of account you currently have, please sign in to your account at tastyworks.com, or click here. You will see your account type once you sign in, beneath the Account Status heading, as illustrated below.
There are three different trading levels for margin accounts: Limited, Basic, and The Works. Your trading level is based on your investor profile. If your trading objectives, knowledge, or financial standing has changed, then you may adjust your investor profile by signing into your account at tastyworks.com and navigating to My Profile>Investor or click here for a direct link.
Cash accounts CANNOT be upgraded since there is only one level. If you would like a margin account, then you will need to open another account. To see if you have a Limited Cash account, then please log in to your account at tastyworks.com and view the Account Status area, as illustrated below. Additionally, accounts cannot be converted from cash to margin and vice-versa.
To learn how to open another account, please click here
To learn more about our trading levels and permissible strategies, please click here.
Instructions to update your Investor Profile
Your trading level is based on your investor profile
- Sign in to tastyworks.com, or click here.
- Mouseover to "MY PROFILE" and select "INVESTOR".
Once signed in, accounts that are eligible for an upgrade will have an orange "UPGRADE" button to the left of each trading account(s).*If you do not see this button then your browser may be caching old page data. To force refresh and clear your cache the keyboard shortcuts below will refresh your page.
PC: CTRL + Shift + R
Mac: Cmd (⌘) + Shift + R
- Once you enter the Investor Profile, please select the account you want to upgrade. If you have more than one account, then click on to select the account you wish to upgrade.
- After selecting the account, you will see what you are eligible to upgrade to under “My Current Plan." Your current trading level is based on your current investor profile. In the example below, the account is not suitable for “The Works” because it is grayed out. If an account is already suitable for an upgrade, then the next trading level will not be grayed out.
- Your ability to upgrade is solely based on how you self-report within three different criterion: Trading Objectives, Trading Knowledge, and Financial Standing. You may edit your investor profile by editing each criterion by scrolling down to each section and clicking .
- After completing your investor profile update, you will see which trading level(s) you are eligible to upgrade to under "My Current Plan" based on your self-report.
- Once completed you can view your new suitable upgrade (if properly filled out) by returning to “My Current Plan.” Below is an example of what you will see when the next trading level becomes eligible to upgrade.
- If you do not see the trading level you were anticipating to upgrade to, then please reevaluate your investor profile (repeat step 5).